Russian General Killed By Ukrainian Forces, Reports Say

( It was reported last week that Ukrainian forces killed Russian Major General Andrei Sukhovetsky in combat last week. Russian state-run media confirmed the reports.

It isn’t clear under what circumstances Sukhovetsky died, with the Kremlin-backed Pravda only confirming he was killed during “a special operation in Ukraine.”

The Russian state-owned TASS news agency reported that Kukhovetsky was appointed by Vladimir Putin in 2021 to serve as deputy commander of the 41st Combined Arms Army of the Central Military District. He was also in charge of the 7th Airborne Division and served in Syria where he received two commendations for bravery from the Kremlin.

A social media post attributed to Sergei Chipilev, a member of the Russian military officers’ group did appear to confirm that Sukhovetsky was dead.

Ukraine’s Foreign Minister of Infrastructure, Volodymyr Omelyan confirmed to Fox News on Thursday that Sukhovetksy had been killed.

The US could not confirm reports of his death.

On Monday, the Russian Defense Ministry said it would impose a ceasefire in the Ukrainian cities of Kyiv, Kharkiv, Sumy, and Mariupol to allow time for civilians to flee their homes, despite repeatedly breaking previous ceasefire agreements.

In a statement on Monday, the Defense Ministry said at “the personal request” of French President Emmanuel Macron, they would stop firing at 10 am local time on Monday, adding that the relevant details of the ceasefire had been communicated to international bodies, including the United Nations.

Monday’s is the third attempted ceasefire.

The first attempt at a ceasefire to allow evacuations from Mariupol and Volnovakha failed on Saturday as Russian forces resumed their attacks and Ukrainian officials were forced to put evacuations on hold.

The second ceasefire collapsed within hours on Sunday as Russian forces resumed heavy shelling in Mariupol.

During Sunday’s fighting, Russian forces hit an evacuation zone in a suburb of Kyiv, killing a family with two children, along with several other civilians attempting to escape the fighting.

According to Ukrainian authorities, two artillery shells hit the checkpoint in Irpin, northwest of Kyiv. The incident was confirmed by international media that was filming at the checkpoint who reported a shell had landed as civilians were making their way through.