Judge Allows Public To Be Selected For Jury In Epstein Case

(FreedomBeacon.com)- A judge just rejected a bid from Ghislaine Maxwell, the disgraced former socialite and partner of millionaire sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, to block the news media and the public from the jury selection part of her trial relating to accusations that she recruited young women and girls to have sex with Epstein.

United States District Judge Alison J. Nathan said that the press and the public will be able to see the selection proceedings take place next month through a video feed. The video will be shown in an overflow courtroom and the courthouse press room. Two pool reporters will also be allowed into the courtroom to witness the process as the judge questions jurors about any possible bias they may have in the case.

Judge Nathan also said that she is working to balance the right of the public to access the court proceedings with the need for health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. There will be additional spaces between individuals in the courtroom and the overflow courtroom will also be socially distanced.

The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, which is a consortium of journalists and news organizations, had written to the judge last week opposing the request by Maxwell’s counsel.

But on a pretrial conference call, the judge said that she is very much aware of the great media and public interest in the case and that the procedures will go ahead and respect the First Amendment right to access information relating to the case.

12 primary jurors and six alternative jurors will be selected from November 4, and opening statements for the trial will begin on November 29.