Imprisoned Man Who Killed Griswold Family Unhappy With Transport

In 2017, three members of a Griswold area family were brutally beaten and murdered. 

The man responsible for the murders is appealing his life sentence. He is also venting his frustrations to a judge over his transit procedure to the courtroom.

At a hearing about his application to correct what he considers to be unfair punishment, Sergio Correa arrived at New London Superior Court, attired in prison garb and adorned with a string of rosary beads. His self-drafted petition contends that his life sentence without parole plus 105 years was unconstitutional.

In a murder trial that began on December 19, 2017, Correa was found guilty on thirteen counts. The victims were Matthew Lindquist, 21, and his parents, Kenneth and Janet Lindquist, 56 and 61 years old, respectively. As part of a scheme to barter narcotics for guns taken from the Lindquists’ Griswold home, Correa’s sister was also convicted of murder.

Matthew Lindquist was chased into the woods by the Correas with a machete. Several months later, he was found with more than 60 wounds from stabs, slashes, and chops. The Lindquists’ home was stormed by the Correas, who brandished a golf club and a bat. Prosecutors claim that Correa brutally beat Kenneth Lindquist, leading to his unfortunate death.

Janet Lindquist was left on the verge of death from being beaten severely and strangled. Following these horrific deeds, the Correas stole goods from the home and then set it on fire.

Until a public defender’s attorney is appointed to the case, Judge John Newson has delayed discussing Correa’s request. However, Correa’s request for special transportation was heard. Along with other inmates from the state’s Department of Correction, Correa arrived at the courtroom on Thursday in a van. The complaint is that he was awakened at 3 a.m. for transportation.

Eric, the only surviving son of Kenneth and Janet Lindquist, elected not to speak during or after Thursday’s court sessions.