(FreedomBeacon.com)- The U.S. State Department is still trying to secure the release of some hostages who were kidnapped last week as part of a terrorist plot in Yemen.
Houthi rebels that are backed by Iran stormed a U.S. embassy facility that’s located in Sana’a. When they got into the compound, they apparently were looking for “large quantities of equipment and materials,” located reports said.
This raid on the embassy came less than a week after the same group kidnapped various Yemeni nationals who are employed by the U.S. embassy.
As the Middle East Research Institute said:
“The alleged raid comes after the Houthis kidnapped three Yemeni nationals affiliated with the U.S. Embassy from one of the employee’s private residences in Sana’a on November 5.”
In recent weeks, more than 20 Yemeni residents were kidnapped by the Houthi group, “most of whom worked on the security staff guarding the embassy grounds,” the MEMRI said.
According to the State Department, these staffers are currently detained by the militants who are backed by Iran, and there is no explanation for why it’s being done. The group also stole a lot of property from the American facility, which was home to many embassy staff before they stopped their operations in Sana’a back in 2015.
A spokesman for the State Department recently told The Washington Free Beacon:
“The majority of the detained have been released, but the Houthis continue to detain additional Yemeni employees of the embassy.”
Those that are still “detained without explanation and we call for their immediate release.”
MEMRI said that among those kidnapped and currently being detained by the Houthis include an economic officer, a former employee of the embassy, and an employee of the U.S. Agency for International Development.
In addition, the State Department said the U.S. is “concerned about the breach of the compound,” calling “on the Houthis to immediately vacate it and return all seized property.”
Furthermore, the White House “will continue its diplomatic efforts to secure the release of our staff and the vacating of our compound, including through our international partners.”
Iran and the United States have been embroiled in hostile relations for quite some time now, and this entire incident with the Houthis in Yemen is only likely to make matters worse.
The Houthis were designated as a terrorist organization under former President Donald Trump. However, when President Joe Biden assumed office earlier this year, he removed that designation from the group.
Apparently, Biden made that move as a gesture of goodwill in an attempt to restart talks and negotiations with Iran on a revamped nuclear accord.
It’ll be interesting to see how the Biden administration views the Houthis now that they have stormed a U.S. embassy building, stolen plenty of property from within and took more than 20 people hostage.
It looks like Trump was right yet again in being careful about this foreign militant group.