Children Making “Squid Game” Candy Are Getting Burned

(FreedomBeacon.com)- After an uptick in burn injuries was reported at Australia’s Children’s Hospital at Westmead, the Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network has issued a warning to parents about the dangers of letting their children cook dalgona candy made popular by the Korean Netflix series “Squid Game.”

Dalgona candy – also known as honeycomb toffee or ppopgi – is a South Korean treat that is made from melted sugar. It gained renewed popularity recently after it was featured in “Squid Game.

A recent social media trend called “Dalgona Candy Challenge” is encouraging fans to emulate “Squid Game” by making the treat and carving out a shape without breaking it.

Dalgona is made by heating the candy mixture, then pouring it into a tin pan or onto parchment paper. The mixture can then be imprinted into shapes by using a cookie cutter. And, not surprisingly, a lot of kids taking the “Dalgona Candy Challenge” are getting burned in the process.

Three children were treated for burns at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead, including one 14-year-old whose hand and leg sustained “deep burns” while participating in the “Dalgona Candy Challenge.”

The head of Westmead’s burn unit, Dr. Erik La Hei explained that sugar melts at a much higher temperature than what is needed to boil water. Plus it is extremely sticky. So if the mixture spills while it is still hot, the resulting burns will be much more serious.

The 14-year-old boy has been undergoing weekly bandage dressings and burn checks over the last month. According to the hospital, the treatment for his burns will continue into the new year.

La Hei said that parents or guardians should make sure their children only make dalgona candy at home while under supervision.

The National Fire Protection Association suggests that kitchen tools and appliances are placed in a way that prevents accidental pulls or knock-overs. Hot foods and liquids should be kept from a table- or counter-edges. Oven mitts or potholders must be dry as the hot cookware can heat the moisture in a damp potholder or mitt resulting in a scald burn.

The NFPA also suggests that shoes be worn while cooking to protect feet from burns caused by spills.